Friday, June 3, 2011

Flying

Flying has always fascinated me. For my 16th birthday my dad arranged a flight for me with one of his work buddies that was a pilot. That was the first time I had ever been in an airplane and I loved it. We flew to a Yellowstone airstrip and then back to Idaho Falls. At that point I decided I wanted to get my pilot's license...however, I was still in highschool and lessons were very expensive so I dropped it.

I have thought about pursing it several times over the past 15 years, but it always seemed out of my reach. Besides, what was the point of getting the license if I couldn't afford the plane, insurance, and gas.

I don't remember how he knew that I wanted to fly, because I hadn't brought it up for years, but an acquaintance of mine dropped me an email in February and said that he working on getting his Sport Pilot instructor rating and needed a "pretend" student to take up for practice. Of course I jumped at the opportunity. It was a cold, crisp winter day but it was clear and calm. Dale took me up in the Zodiak and he practiced being an instructor and I pretended to be a student. I was hooked. I don't think he intended to capture me as an actual student, but after that flight I realized that my goal to be a pilot might be attainable.

Dale flys out of the Blackfoot airport a lot, and that was very convenient for me since I live about 3 minutes away from it. He took me up a couple more times for practice in a 1956 Ercoupe and it was a blast. I also started going to the meetings of the local chapter of the EAA. I expressed my interest in working on my pilot's license and he agreed to take me on as an "official" student once he became a licensed instructor. I want to fly as often as possible, but I decided that I could only afford about 2 lessons a month. Flying is not an inexpensive endeavor but I know that if I wait until I have "enough" money it will never happen. I decided that this pursuit had to be about the process and not the end result.

I had my 4th official lesson this afternoon. I have loved every lesson and am learning so much. I am feeling very overwhelmed right now though. There is so much to remember and coordinate and be aware of...I don't know if I really even have the aptitude to be a pilot. Anyways, it is a journey and I hope that I can finish what I have started. It is encouraging to remember this is the exact same way I felt halfway through nursing school. In fact, it is the same way I felt when I first learned to drive. I successfully made it through both of those!

Dale, Liz (another student pilot), and I are flying to the Tetons on Sunday morning if the weather is good. I am really looking forward to it! Hopefully I will take some pictures to post later!

So, here's to the process!

4 comments:

EllaJac said...

Yay! My dad always loved flying, and when we were bRoKE BRoKE it was put on hold. He'd save towards it, then some emergency (like paying for electricity!) would come up to snatch it away, again and again.

Tonight he's staying a couple hours from here, because he got airsick (again), but will land his plane in the morning at the airport 1/2 mile from my house. :D

God is good.

And you could use that airport too, anytime you want. :)

Jenny said...

Flying is addicting. Thanks for the airport offer, but I have to learn to land first...that is part of my being overwhelmed problem :)

EllaJac said...

hehe, and if you want to visit here, you might also want to learn to land in the WIND. :\

my windspeed indicator (by my house) reads 18.3 mph right now. If it's not gusting, dad should be able to land...!

Jenny said...

Yeah, I have a LONG WAY TO GO, so much to learn