Saturday, March 15, 2014

Geckos...



I have become very jumpy over the past few months, as there are a variety of critters that appear suddenly out of nowhere when I am least expecting their presence. I’m using the term “critters” with a bit of sarcastic endearment, as most of these encounters have occurred with a certain, rather large, arachnid species that send a shiver down my spine every time I see one. When I get up each morning and again when I walk through the door in the evening, I make a general service announcement and warn all creepy visitors that I am home and taking up residence again.  So, for the most part, after several public displays of the death penalty, word has gotten out that all spiders will be destroyed on sight…no questions asked. (And don't expect much better if you're a rat..)

Geckos, on the other hand, have total disregard for personal space and have generously populated the kubo. (I saved a naive baby gecko the other day from going down the drain and I am pretty sure that encounter is what endeared me to their heart?) They have taken great satisfaction in keeping my company and even go so far as invite themselves for dinner on occasion. They are curious little creatures of lightening speed and funny high pitched chirping sounds. Lucky for them, their “non creepy” nature has earned them entrance in to my abode. (I talk as though I have control over what comes in my house…I really don’t, but it’s nice to pretend…)

As I was preparing dinner the other night on the propane stove, I turned around to get a plate. I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. Turning back to the skillet, I jumped back because a large gecko had decided to inspect my cooking up close. “Get out of there!” I scolded and promptly flicked him with my fork.  In lightening speed, he was out of the skillet and back on the wall supervising my dilemma. I decided to fire up the burner again, heat the food well and eat it anyway. There are some things you just have to live with here, and curious geckos are just one those things…

1 comment:

Jo Rita Knopf said...

Too funny! The realities of life can be challenging. Laughing helps! Jo