Monday, March 31, 2008

Journal Excerpt


I was rereading today in the book I read during my flight to Africa. I was struck again by this statement:

“Paradigms power perception and perceptions power emotions. Most emotions are responses to perception - what you think is true about a given situation. If your perception is false, then your emotional response to it will be false too. So check your perceptions, and beyond that check the truthfulness of your paradigms - what you believe. Just because you believe firmly doesn’t make it true. Be willing to reexamine what you believe. The more you live in the Truth, the more your emotions will help you see clearly…” Excerpt from The Shack

So many times I find my emotions dictating my actions and reactions - good or bad. I take my eyes off the Truth and settle for my own interpretation of circumstances and situations based on my own perception, which may or may not line up with the Truth. This applies to my time here in Africa, to my work and career, to the way I interact with people, and even how I view myself.

Father, I thank you for this reminder so kindly given to me today. I repent of living too often out of my own misaligned emotions rather than responding in agreement to Your truth. I invite You to continue dealing with and adjusting my perceptions and the motives of my heart. I ask for Your ability and grace to respond rather than react, and eyes to see and embrace Truth and walk it out in my own life.

No comments: