Monday, March 17, 2008

"When You are in Africa..."

One of the first questions out of Paul’s mouth during breakfast yesterday morning was, “So what is the main thing to remember while in Africa?” Quaid spouted out, “DON’T Drive!” - true, but buzz, wrong answer. “Don’t drink the water” advised Pam - right - but buzz, wrong answer again. Paul, to the rescue, stated, “The main thing to remember when you are in Africa is that YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!” You may think you know, but you don’t. What is, isn’t. What seems wrong is right. Up is down. So, with that simple yet heavy word of instruction, I have tried to posture myself to simply observe and not make judgments and to have a teachable and submitted heart.

Uganda has been an awesome experience so far. I have to keep pinching myself to realize that I am really here. Yesterday, the Hunter’s hosted a Marriage Conference. Grace (the cook - more on her later), Alice, a couples of teens, and I prepared lunch for over 50 people. Fried chicken, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, rolls, and pineapple - all prepared and cooked outside over charcoal. Grace truly is amazing, lol. It rained just as we started serving people their meal, but it was a nice refreshing rain that cooled off the air and then let up. All of the couples were very blessed by the conference. It was a ton of work - everything here takes effort and nothing is convenient - but was certainly rewarding.

After folks went home, those of us at Next Generation went out to dinner at “Ling Ling’s”. Hilarious to have 5 Americans and 3 Africans going out for Chinese while in Africa (all stuffed into one sedan BTW!) We had a great relaxing evening just enjoying each other’s company and reflecting on the Lord’s goodness and provision. Even though I don’t know anything, I know Mukama Mulugi - God is Good.


PS - please see slideshow for a few new photos - there would be more but I went out today without my memory card :-(

1 comment:

EllaJac said...

Jambo! Habari?

Maybe I should ask if y'all are speakin' Swahili over there. I remember "Kanisa ya Mungu" (I think) means "Church of God".

DOn't remember how to say bye...