Friday, March 21, 2008

My Life in Uganda



I have a little time this morning to share some of what my life is like right now in Uganda. The African culture is so much more laid back and relaxed than American life. They are the hardest workers that I have seen, but they are not in a hurry or stressed about getting things done by a certain time. This is both a challenge and a blessing. They take time to relate. The expectation is to greet everyone and spend several minutes in conversation, which will often result in delayed schedules, etc. The Africans are very friendly and expressive. Walking down the road we are always being greeted with waves and, "Hello Muzungu!"

Paul took us girls Easter dress shopping today so that we would not be cheated on the price. He was great to have around and it was very entertaining to watch him. Downtown Jinja has many open air type shops ranging from shoes, clothes, food, housewares, crafts, materials, etc. There are many shops that have the same thing and you just have to find the best deal. Uganda deals in shillings and depending on the exchange rate 1,000 shillings is about .60 U.S. cents. A boda boda ride one way to town is 500 shillings - about .30 cents.

Abdu and Betty have a one year old baby who is the cutest thing I have ever seen. I am amazed how active he is, he is walking and climbing stairs and even climbed up on the coffee table and stood up on it and beat his chest like Tarzan, (hehe, just kidding about the Tarzan part). I have never seen a one year old with such balance! Maybe its an African thing?

I cook breakfast every morning for everyone. They are loving it and enjoy having food they normally don't get - crepes, french toast, quiche, hash browns. Hmmm, what should I make tomorrow? I am running out of ideas. Grace, their hired cook, is gone for the weekend so I get to help Pam with dinner for the next 2 days. Grace and I have become good friends and she has been such a joy to get to know. We are a lot a like in many ways, although she is much more outgoing and comical than I am. She is 32, has never been married but is praying for a husband. She is such a servant and is always looking for ways to bless people.


We have fresh pineapple every night after dinner. I love the food because they eat very little sugar and there are no preservatives in the food and everything is fresh. O yeah, the Hunters have a huge avocado tree in their backyard which is full of humongous avocados! I love it! My favorite food in the world right in my backyard!!!


The dirt is very red and there is always red dust that has to be continually wiped off tables, beds, computers, and clothes. It was kind of funny today - Syd was wiping off walls this morning and Sarah (7) asked, "What are you doing?" Syd replied, "I am washing the wall." Sarah, with a quizzical look on her face, asked "But why?"

No comments: