Thursday, March 6, 2008

Preparations

It just hit me this morning - next week at this time I will be thousands of miles up in the air, not to mention heading thousands of miles away from home. As my friend puts it, I am "whelmed over", lol. My mom is coming today to pick up my horse and take him to her house. I won't have any one here that can feed him everyday for three weeks, plus I am almost out of hay. I think he likes it better in the mountains anyway. I need to pick up my malaria pills, unpack my summer clothes (do I still fit in them??? yikes!), write checks for upcoming bills to pay while I am away, etc...

But I guess more than physical preparation, which I know will eventually come together, I am more concerned about spiritual preparation. Have I prayed enough into this trip? Have I interceded effectively for the purposes of God? Am I ready to enter into a new culture and spiritual dynamic? Am I sensitive to the Holy Spirit's voice? Do I even have anything to give to the Ugandan people? Regardless of the answers, I know that ultimately it is Jesus that has called me and He is faithful to complete what He has started. My heart is His and even though I am terribly inadequate, He is more than sufficient and able to establish all that is in His heart. I am so thankful that He invites me to participate and join with Him.

Someone told me that God will often take someone to Africa to do something in their heart that He can do nowhere else. Interesting thought, and probably very true. I pray that God will capture more and more of my heart and life each day and what people will see is more of Him and less of me.

No comments: