Saturday, March 15, 2008

Uganda!



Just a quick post to let everyone know that I arrived early this morning (12:30 am) in Entebbe, Uganda. My flights went great - the best I have ever had. Pam and Charles (the driver) picked me up and then we drove 3 hours home to Jinja. I must say I was on the edge of my seat most the way home - I don't think there are any traffic laws here. It is a free for all and if someone else is bigger, you'd better get out of the way! It was similar to Malaysia traffic, only about 10 times more dangerous.

This morning I was awakened by the sounds of birds and (?'s) outside my window. There was a delightful sunrise and the temperature was perfect. It was a busy morning, as Paul and Pam are hosting a couple's retreat tomorrow and have much to prepare. I helped set up a tent inside the compound that will hold about 60 people. They start at 9am tomorrow and will feed everyone lunch.

I've been to town already twice today - once with Paul and Abdu to the bank and then again with Pam and Grace to buy groceries at the open market. We rode "boda boda's" - I loved it! A boda boda is basically a bike taxi. You sit on the back and they take you where you need to go. The open market was quite the experience - so many colors, sounds, smells. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera on that trip - I will have to post those pics later. The two pictures above are views just outside the compound gate.

I will write more details later. I am so blessed to be here!

2 comments:

EllaJac said...

Glad you arrived safe and sound! I had all but forgotten the whole 'traffic' experience over there. Not only do they have considerably less "personal space", they also have considerably less margin between "pedestrian" and "motor vehicle"! Yikes! Also, after three weeks of riding around in land rovers and such, it took me a while to get used to being the driver where I actually had to look where I was going. Luckily, I learned without any permanent damage.

Hey, I don't know what your budget over there is (and I wish I'd thought of this earlier), but if you come across any small, cute, trinkets (bracelets? little ebony clothespin dolls?), I'll buy them from you for the girls. Don't sweat it though, either way!

MUCH love to you!!

EllaJac said...

By the way, it is most certainly so amazingly wonderful that YOU can be in Uganda and upload blog pics and email and all that, and *I* can sit here and read all about it. I do recall that you could (maybe) phone home for $30 for a few-minute phone call in '98. My folks went 3 weeks without hearing from me until I hit Heathrow in London and called them (in the middle of the night) to let them know I still lived!